SLB members at the 2022 Spring picnic near the Anne Frank Tree, Seattle Center.
Student Leadership Board 2022-2023
Developing Compassionate Leaders through Education and Action | Get involved and make a difference!
Applications for this year's SLB are now closed. Applications for the 2023-24 SLB will be available in September 2023.
Who should join the Student Leadership Board?
- Students from anywhere in the state of Washington
- Grades 7-11
- From any and all backgrounds, ethnicities, and religions
- Passionate and motivated students who want to collaborate on activism, volunteering, and project-based learning
- Students interested to dive deeper to learn about the Holocaust and other genocides
What does the Student Leadership Board do? What's the commitment?
- Participate in meetings twice a month on Wednesday evenings. Every other meeting is on Zoom. The remainder are hybrid, with options to participate at the Holocaust Center in downtown Seattle OR via Zoom.
- Work together to carry out projects that support the Holocaust Center's mission and provide real-world leadership experience
- Volunteer at several Holocaust Center events throughout the year
- Provide feedback on the Holocaust Center's programs and serve as ambassadors
- Hear and learn from community members, Holocaust and genocide survivors and their descendants, and other leaders
- Serve on the Student Leadership Board from October 2022 through June 2023.
What are the goals of the Student Leadership Board?
- SLB members will enhance their historical understanding of the Holocaust and other genocides
- Members will be able to understand and make connections between the Holocaust, other historic genocides or injustices, and those going on today
- Members will collaborate as part of a group or team
- Members will feel empowered, supported, and comfortable assuming a leadership role amongst their fellow SLB members
- Members will be more inclined to speak out, or be an upstander, if they see a wrong occurring around them
This program is made possible thanks to the generous support of George Elbaum and Mimi Jensen, Paul and Leora Bloom, and Errol and Ruth Ann Ger. Special thanks also goes to the Henry M. Jackson Foundation.
2021-2022 SLB Activities:
THANK YOU to all the community members who heard the call from the SLB and donated household materials for refugees resettled in our area by JFS Seattle.
Leslie Sugiura, JFS Director for Outreach, Education & Volunteer Services
with welcome notes and two shelves full of household items collected by the SLB!